When one library has extra copies or unwanted items, they may offer them to the other campus libraries. If one or all of the items are accepted, Technical Services must have authorization from both campuses for the transfer to occur. The authorization typically involves the director of both the transferring library and the receiving library sending an email to the Director of Technical Services with the title(s)/barcode(s) of the item(s) to be transferred. Transfers are used when items are moving from one campus to another. If it is a location change within a campus library, refer to the location change procedure.
- The transferring library should send a list of title(s)/barcode(s) to the Director of Technical Services.
- The Technical Services department will use the list of barcodes to create an itemized set and generate a detailed spreadsheet of the items to be transferred and email the spreadsheet back to the transferring library.
- The transferring library should verify that the items on the spreadsheet match the items that are to be transferred.
- Once the transferring library has checked the spreadsheet for accuracy, the spreadsheet is returned to the Director of Technical Services indicating that these are the title(s) to be transferred.
- Once the transferring library has authorized the transfer, they should email the spreadsheet AND authorization to the library accepting the transferred items.
- The accepting library should indicate their acceptance of these items, in which collection they are to be placed, and request that they be relocated in a formal authorization. The accepting library should keep a copy of the spreadsheet of these items for their records.
- When all authorizations are complete, forward the spreadsheet and authorizations to the Director of Technical Services.
- Put all materials to be transferred in a secure box(es) with a copy of the spreadsheet and send to: Technical Services NDSC/NE campus