- Open a new Excel spreadsheet. Type “Barcodes” in the first cell and scan in the barcodes of the items you want to delete into the first column (one barcode per line). (See Location Changes for further details)
- Email the completed file to email@example.com. Jana will use your barcodes to create an itemized set. She will then generate a detailed spreadsheet of the items in the set and will email the spreadsheet back to you.
- Verify that the items on the spreadsheet match your desired deletions.
- Email the spreadsheet to the person authorized to sign deletes for your campus library. Your library should keep a copy of the spreadsheet for your records.
- The person authorized to sign deletes will formally request the deletion by emailing the spreadsheet to firstname.lastname@example.org
- After you receive notification that the items have been successfully deleted discard the items that you have withdrawn; remove the barcode and stamp “Discard” on the title and other pages and on the edge if there is enough room.
Non-collection items that were previously on reserve and are now being added to the permanent collection must be first reported for deletion through the established procedure to facilitate accurate reporting.
District Library policy allows for the distribution of withdrawn library materials to other TCCD units. Criteria for doing so are: the materials must be for appropriate use (consistent with district policy) within the district; must be requested in writing to the Library Director; and must be approved, at a minimum, by a department head. All other withdrawn library materials must be placed in recycling bins with precautions taken to ensure that neither library staff nor any other individual remove items from the recycling bin. The Library Director will review transfer requests and if appropriate, will authorize the transfer of withdrawn materials.
REPORTING PERIODICALS FOR DELETION
When reporting individual issues for deletion, please provide the following information: title, holdings ID and the range of issues to be deleted. Holdings ID is needed to improve efficiency and avoid errors. If you own two copies of a title and are deleting issues from both, you need to report both Holdings IDs. The list can be either in MS Excel or MS Word.
|Title||Holdings ID||Issues to Delete|
|People||2237836020001640||v. 80 no. 7 (2013 : Aug 12.) – v. 80 no. 26 (2013 : Dec 23)|
To find Holdings ID in Alma, perform a search for your title (limit by inventory: physical title and/or material type: journal, to narrow your search if needed). Click on Holdings and copy the appropriate Holdings ID into your deletion list.